Frankfurt, and Heidelberg
Dresden was called "Florence of the North" until allied
fire-bombing destroyed most of the city in 1945.
Restoration was slow, because Dresden became part of East
Germany. That government favored leaving many of the
ruins alone as a war memorial. But now glorious Dresden is
back, as shown by this famous vista of the historic district.
On the left, a portion of Dresden's Zwinger, a huge royal
baroque structure famous for its courtyard and housing five
museums. On the right, from Nuremberg's old town, the
recreated 14th century Beautiful Fountain.
Nuremberg was the main site for Nazi rallies. Hitler planned
for massive buildings in Nuremberg and elsewhere to outshine
prior civilizations. This unfinished Congress Hall, intended as
a larger version of the Roman Colosseum, has survived. It
now houses a museum to teach Germans about Nazi and World
War II horrors. There was a huge poster on the building
which read in German "Nuremberg says No to the Nazis".
Frankfurt's historic city center, the Romerberg, has been
restored to its 14th and 15th century appearance. The rest
of Frankfurt is often compared to Manhattan, with its
forest of high rise buildings.
Heidelberg's castle dates from the 13th century. It was not
a military success story. After being captured by the enemy
and heavily damaged, the Germans simply abandoned it.
The historic ruin, high on a hill, still dominates the city and
remains the primary symbol of Heidelberg.
If you have a high speed internet connection, watch the
Intrepid Berkeley Explorer's 2003 Germany video by clicking
and the 1990 film by clicking here: Berlin and Paris